Back to School: “The New Normal,” IEP Resources, Public Policy, and Advocacy – August Toolkit
Back to School: “The New Normal,” IEP Resources, Public Policy, and Advocacy – August 2020 Toolkit
This August, the Autism Society of America is dedicated to providing the autism community with the valuable resources necessary for the ever-changing landscape of Back-To-School during COVID-19. Our goal is to provide resources to help autistic individuals and families as they navigate the “New Normal” of education during the COVID-19 crisis this summer.
Below we have compiled a digital toolkit of resources, information, referrals, and support to help autistic individuals and their families navigate Back to School and IEP information, as well as public policy and advocacy highlights to assist in transitions during the pandemic.
Resources for Back to School Adjustments
- Back to School: Know Your Rights by the Autism Society of America
- Facebook Live Special: “Back to School: A Global Discussion on Supporting Students with Autism”
- Educating All Learners: The Autism Society is part of this alliance dedicated to equity for complex learners.
- Interim Guidance for COVID-19 Prevention and Control in Schools by UNICEF
- COVID-19 Information and Resources for Schools and School Personnel by the U.S. Department of Education
Individualized Education Plan (IEP) Resources
- Autism Society’s Coronavirus Information Series Episode: “Preparing your IEP for Back to School” with Anne Holmes of MyHana
- Autism Society’s IEP Contact Center
- Questions and Answers to Providing Services to Children with Disabilities During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 by the Centers for Disease Control
- How to Handle IEPs During the Coronavirus Crisis – Expert Advice By Education Week
- COVID and IEPs: Education for Children with Special Needs by Boston Children’s Hospital
- Special Education Guidance and Resources for COVID-19 by the Connecticut Department of Education
- Legal FAQ, Remote IEP meetings and Evaluations by Understood
Public Policy and Advocacy
- Ignite Public Policy Newsletter: Information on Schools Reopening and Legislation
- Know Your Rights – a Resource by the Autism Society of America
- National Disability Rights Network’s State by State School Reopening Plan Compilation (updated every 2 weeks)
- State Advocacy Toolkit – Updated for August 2020
- Special Education Advocacy During COVID-19 by Asperger/Autism Network
- Rights of Caregivers in Hospitals during COVID by the Consortium for Citizen with Disabilities
- Civil Rights, HIPPA, and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 by the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Howard County Autism Society’s “Homeschooling Children with Special Education Needs: Important Considerations“
Autism Society North Carolina’s “Addressing School Concerns During COVID-19“
Post Secondary Transition Assistance by Autism of Society of Iowa
We encourage you to contact the Autism Society affiliate in your area, as our affiliates are often the most knowledgeable about local services. To find an affiliate in your area, click here.
The Autism Society’s National Contact Center staff are here to support you and provide you with the resources you need. Our Information & Referral Specialists are available Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 7:00 pm (Eastern Time) at 800-3-AUTISM (800-328-8476) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Autism Society is dedicated to improving the quality of life for all affected by autism. $50 allows the Autism Society to provide an hour of support to our affiliate network to create localized education resources, support, and advocacy to individuals and families affected by autism. If you found this article helpful, please consider supporting our efforts through a donation, every bit helps. Donate here!
The post Back to School: “The New Normal,” IEP Resources, Public Policy, and Advocacy – August Toolkit appeared first on Autism Society.